Your garage is probably one of the first things someone sees when they visit your home or drive by. An old, worn-out, ugly garage door doesn’t make a good first impression. So, you’re going to do something about it. Before you go garage door shopping, give some thought to what you want. Here are 5 things to consider.
1. Style. Many homes are equipped with a “standard” garage door. It rolls up on tracks and is just a big door – maybe with windows. Garage doors have style! From raised panels on traditional doors to give them a more fashionable look to carriage-style doors that enhance both vintage and territorial style homes, you have choices. Modern designs are amazing. Decide what style is best for the style of your home. If your old garage didn’t have windows, they’re a great addition – just make sure they are frosted so they don’t give a clear view of the interior.
2. Insulation. Protect the things in your garage – and, maybe, lower your utility bills. If you have an attached garage, insulating the door can make a big difference in the temperature inside the garage. One manufacturer found it could keep a garage up to 20 degrees warmer on a very cold, wet day. Keeping your garage warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer means the heated and cooled space in your home is more protected from extreme temperatures that can build in a garage and come inside every time you open the door between the garage and your home.
3. Match The Environment. If you live in an area of severe storms, make sure your garage door can stand up to high winds. The key is how heavy the springing and struts are so this doesn’t necessarily impact your selection of styles.
4. Use Visualization. Many garage door replacement companies and online sites offer you the opportunity to upload a photo of your home and try out different door styles. It’s a great way to confirm that you’ve made the right choice!
5. Technology. OK, it’s not the door; it’s the opener. But, if you’re replacing one you are most likely replacing both. Educate yourself on everything new garage door openers have to offer – from notifications whenever the door is opened to remote control from your smartphone. They can turn on a light. They can make your life easier. Know what features you might want and then go shopping.
Another thing to think about when you buy a garage door is maintenance. Every door – no matter how new or old – should have a safety inspection each year from a licensed garage door replacement and maintenance company. Where you buy makes a difference. You want a great door – and great service in the future. It’s one more thing to consider.