It’s time – time for a new garage door. Here are 5 things to take into consideration to make sure you get the right door for your home.
1. Where Do You Live? If you live in a climate of extreme heat or cold, you should consider an insulated door. It will help keep your garage warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. That will help protect everything stored in your garage – and it may even help keep your home at a more even temperature. You don’t want winter cold or summer heat to bleed through the connecting wall or come in with you every time you go in or out from the garage to the home.
2. What is Material Should you Choose? When you consider what kind of material you want for your garage, there are 5 choices. The first is wood – a beautiful, natural look, but it will need upkeep. A wood composite door can give you the look with less upkeep! Steel doors are popular for their strength, but they will dent. Aluminum is lightweight and that makes it a good choice for a large door. It is also very affordable. Consider aluminum with laminate panels that are more dent resistant. Fiberglass is a mimic. It can look like wood or it can have a more translucent look. Vinyl garage doors are very dent resistant, but they come in more limited styles and colors. The choice is yours but discuss the options with your garage door replacement company. They will help you find the right door for your home and your location.
3. What Color? Stop and think what you want your garage door to do. If you want it to blend in, go with a color that is the same or close to the color of your home. This will make that big garage door less visible from the street. But, don’t rule out color. You can match the color of your home’s trim or, even, the front door. You can create a pop of color. Think about light or white accents to bring out the design.
4. The Design? Today’s garage doors come in every possible style and design – but, it’s up to you to find the one that enhances your home. You may want to look at a carriage door to compliment a traditional home. A wood look territorial may be perfect for a Southwestern design. Modern? There are great new modern looks. You don’t have to just guess. You’ll find Internet sites that let you upload a photo of your home and try on your new garage door.
5. Accessories? That’s a definite yes. From adding windows that bring a delightful detail to your garage door to decorative hinges and handles, accessories can create a great look. Painting trim around the door can give the door – and it’s features – definition. Don’t be afraid to give you garage door a personality all its own.
A garage door is not just functional; it’s part of the design of your home. You don’t have to be ordinary. There are great choices. Talk to a licensed garage door replacement company and see all of today’s options. Count on that licensed dealer to give you professional installation and to keep your garage door in good repair as the years roll by.